The Club was originally founded in 1909 when a nine-hole course was laid out on land rented from the city council and the lord of the manor. The Club became so popular that it was extended to eighteen holes in 1912 and a clubhouse built. The Club’s first professional, E. Crook, was engaged in 1911.
In 1979 the Club was able to purchase the land on which the course sits today. Since that time significant changes have taken place which presents our course in its current layout and fine condition.
HISTORY IN A NUTSHELL
- 1909 – On November 2nd a meeting is held at the Anchor Hotel in Filton. Filton Golf Club is formed.
- 1910 – On May 14th the club is now open for play.
- 1910 – On May 28th the club is officially opened with a Drive-in by the club’s first President and landlord, John Atkin Waller.
- 1910 – In November meetings of the golf club’s management committee are renamed Council meetings.
- 1914 – The club is awarded the honour of hosting the County Championship, won by J H Beavis, of Minchinhampton Golf Club.
- 1921 – In December it is agreed to purchase a “Roll of Honour” to commemorate those club members who perished in the 1st World War. This memorial is currently mounted in the main entrance hallway to the club.
- 1924 – The Professional is permitted to employ caddies for the use of members. 1st class caddies cost 1 shilling and sixpence. (7 ½ p)
- 1929 – The retiring Club Captain, H C Hull, proposes that the Captain should be allowed the privilege of being given precedence on the starting tee. The motion is seconded by the incoming Captain, Mr Trory and is still continued to this day.
- The Scratch Cup is presented to the club by a Mr Norman Adams, it is decided that it should be a trophy played for the championship of the club and has been awarded to the Club Champion ever since.
- 1930 – A competition is held to give names to the holes on the course. Only three of those original names survive; “Barn”, “Pen Park” and “Pond”
- 1944/45 – The Bristol Aeroplane Company becomes the club’s new landlord and took land containing five holes to build the Brabazon hanger.
- 1948 – The Bristol Aerospace Golfing Society, BAGS, is formed, whose members play regularly at Filton at preferential rates.
- 1951 – The practice of allowing animals to graze the course is ended.
- 1952 – The Stragglers are formed, originally for club members having a handicap of 16 or more.
- 1964 – William Howland starts the Seniors Section, The practise of presenting the retiring Captain with an inscribed tankard is agreed.
- 1965 – The method of selecting the Club Captain is changed from election at the AGM, to selection by a panel made up of Past Captains. At one time the new Captain was introduced to members by being dragged out at a stag party, a practice that has now lapsed.
- 1966 – Ownership of the course passes to Rolls-Royce.
- 1970 – The practice of hanging the pictures of both the Club Captain and the Ladies Captain on the clubhouse wall is initiated.
- 1971 – Rolls – Royce goes into Receivership.
- 1975 – Another hole naming exercise is carried out using members’ suggestions.
- 1979 – The golf club purchases the course from the Rolls-Royce Receiver.
- 1989 – The Club Captain, Peter Briggs, decides that he would have a blazer made for himself and put it forward as the design for the club blazer. Evolving from this idea, part of the tradition of installing a new Club Captain has been the presentation to the new Captain of his Club Captain’s blazer.
- 1992 – Construction work is started on the lakes.
- 2001 – The present clubhouse, changing room and office upgrades are started. The ladies changing room was the final area to be completed in 2007.
- 2009 – Filton Golf Club celebrates 100 years of existence and also hosts the County Championship for the second time.